Tips for Successful Submissions
- Read past issues of EVENT. Check major bookstores and libraries for the current issue; sample back issues are available online or through our office($9 for Canadian residents; US$12 for US residents; CDN$15 for overseas residents and institutions).
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but we will not publish work that has previously been published elsewhere.
- We do not publish work by an author who has been published in our magazine within the past two calendar years, with the exception of reviews.
- Check out our Editorial Policy for a full list of guidelines and our selection process.
- We do not read manuscripts in January, July, August or December. Work may still be submitted during these periods; however, we may take longer to respond.
- We reply as soon as possible, usually within six months.
Reading Service for Writers
For information on our Reading Service for Writers, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Ian Cockfield, Managing Editor, or visit the Reading Service page.
Our annual Non-Fiction Contest runs every spring. Entries must be postmarked no later than April 15.
For information about the entry fee, the final judge and other submission details, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Ian Cockfield, Managing Editor, or visit the Contest page.
- We pay a minimum of $25 ($30 for a poet’s first page) on publication (up to a maximum of $500), along with two copies of the issue, and publication is within a year of acceptance.
- We buy first North American serial print rights and limited, non-exclusive digital rights; copyright reverts to the author after publication.
- Cover Art: We pay $150 on publication along with two copies of the issue plus 10 extra covers.